08 September, 2007

Pick up a book Gosh Darn It!

I was reading last weeks TIME and they have a section called “Numbers”. There was a quote under Literacy that I thought was interesting.
“25% - Percentage of U.S. adults who did not read any books in the past year, according to an Associated Press Ipsos poll. The average person said he or she read four. “

That number baffles me. Since my posting of the Wizards First Rule I have finished 3 other books and am on another. So in about a month’s time I have read more than the average American does in a year. Now I know I am perhaps an anomaly as I would rather read than pretty much anything (excluding playing with Spotty…unless we are watching Dora for the 20000000 time, then I slip in a chapter or 10). And I know that statistics are a Frelling science in itself and a class that sucks when you are suffering a major concussion and have trouble differentiating between 2XxY and 2(XxY). Honestly I think I just hate numbers – Mama’s convince your girl children that math is not for boys, it’s for smart people. But DAMN people, 4 books, I bet we are not even talking about the 900-1000 page behemoths that I prefer.

Then again I haven’t done any research, but I would have to assume that the better off you are financially the more time you have to read books? I can understand if you are worried about how you are going to feed or house your child you may not have time to read about THE OMNIVORE’S DILEMMA.

As for my book reviews? Honestly I would rather be reading than blogging, but I have read some good ones so expect to hear about Stone of Tears; The Hob’s Bargain and This Alien Shore. And then as I am currently reading Blood of the Fold, I will probably be done with that one too by the time I actually write up some of these reviews. Stay tuned

0 comments: