14 September, 2007

Book Review - Stone of Tears

Onto book two of the Sword of Truth series. The book starts off with Rachel, the foundling that Chase adopted, watching something that made her very nervous. When she tries to tell Chase about it he pats her on the head and tells her not to worry. He and Zed are busy discussing the boxes of Orden and what should be done about it. Of course this is the time that some demon like killing machine makes his appearance kicks the crap out of Chase, knocking Zed over and proceeds to smack Chase to within an inch of his life. Rachel being the kick ass kid that she is remembers Wizard Giller’s magic fire stick and torches the demon like thingy. I hope we get to see more of Rachel. I like this kid. Mayhem ensues. Lots of death and destruction commence.

I like how the D’Harans are more fleshed out. One of my favorite quotes is from a D’Hara commander who when being told what the former Load Rahl was up to stated. “Bloody fool. He’s supposed to serve us, not take us into eternal night. Someone should have killed him.” My thoughts exactly
We meet up with the Mud people again and gain some new enemies as well as new friends. Damn Richard can be a dumb ass.

I had trouble reading this book. Even though I have read it at least 4 times once I got to the Sisters of Light I had to force myself to keep reading. I don’t know what it was. Perhaps it was Kahlan’s sacrifice? Lord knows I have no issue with the fighting. I really enjoyed Sister Verna and Richards trip together. I can just see now how much I am going to want to strangle Spotty Chop in the future. Nathan the prophet is an interesting character and as they say, there seems to be a method to his madness.

I don’t want to say too much about Kahlan, but girl has gonads of steel. One thing I like most about strong fantasy writers are how female characters are generally portrayed. They don’t make them perfect, but they can kick ass with the best of them.

Great read, can’t wait to read the 3rd one.

0 comments: