04 November, 2009

Book Review: Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk



What do you do when you are 20,000 feet in the air (or however high up you are from LaGuardia to Logan) and you realize that you HATE the book you are reading? I should not have picked up this book in the first place. I hate boxing, MMA etc. I think it’s stupid. Don’t get me wrong I am not trying to say it’s not a sport or that the people that do it or like it are stupid. I just can’t wrap my head around people punching each other in the face for fun. I know it might sound like I am a hypocrite as I am a HUGE fan of folks getting their asses kicked if they need kicking. But that’s rage. When I see folks in a ring, it’s not to uphold justice or because they have PMS it’s for FUN? WTF?


So I am stuck on a plane with nothing to read but the book a former boss interoffice mailed me. I hate the characters. What the hell is wrong with these people? I am so sick and tired of the whole “dare to be different, embrace anarchy” bullshit that these young whipper snappers are into. You are not different or unique. YOU ARE AN ASSHAT. You want to be different? Rake your elderly neighbor’s yard at night without anyone knowing you did it. “OOOOH I wanna cause a revolution. Let’s pee in the soup.” Frell you! You know what? I did that shit in High School; when I was drunk. And if I could go back in time I would cut a byotch. I would head-butt myself, kick me in the crotch and tell me to go the Frell home. Fing pussy.

As I sit drinking a small cup of water because gods forbid they still give you the craptastic bag of 3 peanuts, I am overcome with dread. I signed up for the Cannonball Read. I have read some of the reviews folks have written. They are insightful, they are long and they make you want to read the book. Here I am contemplating leaving the book next to the airsick bags. I don’t want to finish it. Would it really be cheating if I don’t finish the book? I mean I can still review it. BUT I DON”T HAVE ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY TO READ ANOTHER BOOK THIS WEEK(…unless it’s the new Wheel of Time book..What has happened to Perrin, will this new guy butcher the story????) I force myself to continue reading.


Something happens; in the story. I sit up. I read some more. I must now finish the book. I need to know about this something. What is going on?

Was it worth finishing?

Guess you will have to read it yourself to find out

0 comments: