15 April, 2008

Upper GI

Piece of cake. No eating after midnight, well much as I like to eat, when you are having a procedure done I know I tend to loose my appetite. In the documentation they give you it says no drinking 3 hours before your arrival, for some reason I had it in my head that you couldn’t drink after midnight either. No big whoop. We dropped Spotty Chop off at day care and then went on our way. When I got there I handed over all the paperwork I had done (medical history, meds etc.). Then we waited. When it was my turn at 10ish they told Boy Toy to be back by 11:15, 11:30. I had a great nurse who explained what was going to happen and made jokes. She also put in the IV line so I could eventually get drugs. I was able to read for a bit before another nurse came by told me we had the same birthday and the two of them wheeled me into the room where the procedure was going to be done. She hooked me up to all sorts of machines and my doc came in to say hi, check my heartbeat and see if I had any questions. The only one I had I said was that I couldn’t get my head around him putting a camera down my esophagus. He laughed and said he understood, and that is why he was going to give me great drugs. I cheered.

I lay on my side and was looking at monitors with what looked like IP addresses on them. The nurse first gave me a drug that was like valium and then a narcotic. It pinched a bit. As I sat there wondering when this crap was going to hit me, the doc came in. The nurse (I think her name was Katarina) said “I just got started with her” and he said “no problem”. Next thing I knew I was waking up. I know they were telling me stuff, but I have no idea what. I tried walking and thought I did well, but they told me to rest for a bit, 30 or 40 minutes later (or so they say) we tried again. I felt nauseous and they said my blood pressure may have dropped and to lie back down again. Eventually I sat up and they took me out to Boy Toy (who had no idea what was going on and was getting worried). They told me to only eat soft foods so I asked BT to get me a vanilla shake from Old McDonalds. He put me to bed and I remember Spotty coming in to give me a balloon around 5:30. I got out of bed around 7:30 because Boy Toy never called my mom to tell her I was ok, and she was panicking. I talked to her, watched spotty watching TV. Around 9:00 I was reading Spotty stories and I climbed into bed with him because I was so frelling tired. Boy Toy put us both to bed in our room and I woke up today around 7:40am.

So don’t bother running out for your favorite series on DVD and pay twice what you would pay at Costco, because you aren’t going to watch it. Even if you did open it up and put it in the DVD player.