30 October, 2008

Thematic Photographic 22 - Night

What better way to get back into the swing of things that participating in Carmi's latest theme ? I've missed several themes in the past few weeks. But I am feeling like I want to be part of the human race again. Wander over and check out the comments at Written Inc. You will see a lot of great photos, a bunch of interesting sites and you may even find a friend or two.


Here is my contribution.



Waterfire is one of our favorite events. I have written about it several times and I don't know if I ever really convey how insanely cool it is to be there, surrounded by the night, fire, people and music. Next year I vow to learn more about aperture so I can take a better photo. But then again if you have ever been there, this fuzzy, blurry kind of un-earthly quality actually sums this event up nicely.

5 comments:

Mojo said...

Looks like one of those events you can't fully describe in words and pictures. And yes, the blur does add to the mood of a shot like this one.

But since you asked... sort of...

If you're looking for sharpness in a low light shot, though the secret is usually in shutter speed. Which is partially a function of aperture. The larger the aperture you can dial in, the shorter the shutter speed you can use and still get a good exposure. But in a dead of night shot like this one, even that may not be enough. If you wanted to make this shot sharp, you'd pretty much have to shoot it off a tripod. And even then there are motion blurs you can't control. The flames for example, will still be blurred if you're shooting a slow shutter, so will anything else that moves while your shutter is open. But the contrast between the sharp edges of the things that don't move and the soft edges of the things that do can be quite compelling.

Barbara said...

I have missed you so much so seeing your comment tonight lifted my heart like you wouldn't believe. Your visits with your dear friend, right up to the last, showed such a giving nature. So, I have to ask: how are you?

Bringing out this photo of Waterfire is very timely for the theme, and I remember you telling how much you love attending every year. Mojo gave excellent tips for taking pictures of scenes like this. It makes me want to go light a tiki torch by the pond! :-)

Mystic Thistle said...

I want to be inside this photo. It looks like an experience I would love. Beautiful lights. I can't wait to see more of these.

Malinda777 said...

The photo itself is REALLY COOL, but somehow along with your description of the fire, water, and light...I can smell really good food somewhere :) Great shot!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, this sounds like an event that I would LOVE to attend. And I'm with malinda...I can smell good food somewhere!