14 March, 2011

Maple Sugar Days in Massachusetts

I like to write out Massachusetts because I sing while I type. M A-SS A-CHUS-ETTS.


We went to Blue Hills Reservation on Saturday to enjoy a beautiful if windy day at Brookwood Farm in Milton. I have had just about enough of the winter and staying indoors. I needed us out enjoying the sun. Spotty Chop wasn't so sure. When we got there he said “if this is boring I’m gonna, I’m gonna…well I don’t know what I’m going to do, I won’t hate you because I love you, but I am going to be mad." God help me.


We took a trolley from the Houghton's Pond parking area to the Farm. Spotty had a perma grin stuck on his face, he loved looking around the trolley. Such a simple thing, an old fashion trolley, but being with him I saw it anew, beautiful wood and iron seats, big windows, a treat for the eyes.

We paid the admission fee, which supported the Trailside museum and followed our nose. There was a small barn and wafting from the inside was the delicious smell of maple syrup. There was a man boiling syrup and a table with samples of, quite frankly, the best tasting maple syrup I have ever tasted, and I have tasted a lot. We have spent a long time in VT and NH where maple syrup is king, but I have never tasted anything like this. Moo and Freak Show made maple syrup last year, I remember that it took forever, not sure if it was the best tasting thing in the world, but I can imagine it was close.

After getting samples and then getting the largest bag of kettle corn I could possibly buy we started our journey.
There were 5 stations starting with how the Native Americans may have made the first maple syrup. Apparently the sap from the maple trees will run on the saplings and would freeze and form icicles. The Native Americans realized that some icicles were sweet. They believe that they would cut open the trunk and drop heated stones into the sap. The first settlers would boil enough sap to make maple sugar to last the year, and to possibly sell. At one station Spotty tried drilling into a post with a hand drill and placed a spout and pail. We were able to taste sap coming directly out of a tree. It tastes like slightly sweet water and looks just like water. We also got to play some games,

Walking on stilts



Sawing a log



But the most fun of all?



When we finally got back to the car we asked Spotty if he had a good time. He replied, “I had a great time, we were outside in the fresh air and we had family time, what’s not to like”.

We will be planning some more outdoor adventures soon.

1 comments:

sealaura said...

such sweet pics! what a perfect day!
Thanks so much for reading my blog and for your sweet words the other day. I hope to get back to blogging real soon, packing stinks!