29 May, 2010

Book Review: Small Favors by Jim Butcher

Book Ten of the Dresden Files

Oh Harry how I have missed you! I don’t think there is anything that makes me happier (Spotty Chop excluded) than reading the Dresden Files…


Bob: As in The Three Billy Goats Gruff? You just got your ass handed to you by a nursery tale?


Harry: Think of every fairy-tale villainess you’ve ever heard of. Think of the wicked witches, the evil queens, the mad enchantresses. Think of the alluring sirens, the hungry ogresses, the savage she-beasts. Think of them and remember that somewhere, sometime, they’ve all been real…Mab gave them lessons.


Thomas: How do you want to play it if the music starts?
Harry: I’ve got nothing to prove…I say we run like little girls


Harry: I bet you say that to all the guys who glue your stomach back together.

Harry: The shelves were covered with an enormous variety of containers, from a lead-lined box to burlap bags, from Tupperware to a leather pouch made from the genital sac of, I kid you not, an actual African lion. It was a gift, don’t ask


Harry: At one time in my life, a shapeshifted, demonically possessed maniac crashing through a window and trying to rip my face off would have come as an enormous and nasty surprise…But that time was pretty much in the past.

Harry: I figured odds were fantastic that one of them would just hop over me like a Kung Fu Theater extra.


Harry: I followed the trail of smitten fiends. Smiten fiends? Smited fiends? Smoted fiends? Don’t look at me, I never finished high school.


Ms. Demeter: What can I do for you?...Wait. Allow me to rephrase. What can I do to most quickly get rid of you?


Thomas: What does a woman need to do, Harry? Rip her clothes off, throw herself on top of you, and shimmy while screaming ‘Do me, Baby!?’Sometimes you’re a friggen idiot.

Harry: Anybody with an once of sense knows that fighting someone with a significant advantage in size, weight, and reach is difficult…If you opponent has you by eight thousand and fifty pounds, you’ve left the realm of combat and enrolled yourself in Roadkill 101. Or possibly in a Tom and Jerry cartoon.


Karrin: Trying to guilt me into playing worried girlfriend, domestic defender, and surrogate mother figure, eh?
Harry: I figured it would work better than telling you to shut up and get into the kitchen.


0 comments: